An ephemeral and glorious capital of medieval Srilanka presenting a valuable heritage site to the present day
Located in the province of Wayamba midway between the historical cities of Anuradhapura and Kurunegala of Srilanka, the Kingdom of Yapahuwa is considered as one of a valuable capitals of this marvelous island Srilanka. Being built surrounding a huge granite rock fortress rising and spreading from the ground for more than hundred meters, the Yapahuwa Kingdom takes place a prominent place within the books of Srilankan history. According to the ancient legends it has been the belief of thousands of people that the Kingdom of Yapahuwa was originally known by several names such as, Sundara Giri Pavuyya, Ayo Parvata, Subhagiripura during the time period of centuries ago. However on the other hand it is said that the name Yapahuwa means a Buddhists heritage site with the distortion of its genuine etymological sense. The massive fortress surrounding the Kingdom of Yapahuwa is in the height of around 4 meters while its diameter ranging around 22 meters in its width.
According to the historical chronicles the first King to rule the Kingdom of Yapahuwa was the King Bhuvenakabahu during the time period of 1272. It is believed that the King transferred his Kingdom from Polonnaruwa to the Kingdom of Yapahuwa bringing the sacred Tooth relic of the Lord Buddha with him undergoing through the threats from the South Indian invaders towards Srilanka. However on the other hand along with the death of King Bhuvenakabahu in 1284 it is believed that the south Indian invaders captured the sacred Tooth relic by invading Srilanka once again. Later during the time period of between 1287 to 1293 the King Parakkramabahu III was successful enough to defeat the Pandayan south Indian invaders and to recover the Tooth of relic back again to Srilanka along with a massive relief towards the Buddhists in the country. With the ancient historical ruins and monuments still preserving to the present day it is no doubt that the Kingdom of Yapahuwa has been one of a prosperous and successful kingdom in Srilanka. It is known that a massive palace complex was built by King Bhuvanekabahu on the summit of the giant rock fortress in the determination of protecting the Kingdom against foreign invaders. The remaining ruins of Yapahuwa provides with clear evidences of enormous monument structures, stairways, shrine rooms, stunning artistic designs are just a few to mention. The Kingdom of Yapahuwa was highly demonstrated and inhabited by several valuable Buddhists religious activities after the placement of the sacred Tooth relic of the Lord Buddha. Several prehistoric ruins can still be found on the summit of the fortress rock including caves designed for Buddhists monks, massive stupa, Bodhi tree encounters, remaining of monasteries, chambers and shrines housing number of Buddha statues plays a main role out of all. On the other hand the rock fortress also houses a sacred ancient Buddhists temple named Yapahuwa Raja Maha Viharaya which is believed to built during the Kandayan period of Srilanka. Being enriched with large amounts of historical factors the Kingdom of Yapahuwa is considered to be one of a most famous and significant archeological site in the present day with a history of running centuries ago. Encountered with strong dry breeze and thick greenish forest the Kingdom of Yapahuwa is located between an enormous tropical forest in a low land, bounding it with an additional value towards the prehistoric Kingdom of Yapahuwa.